Saturday, February 12, 2011

The seeds of an idea

For the longest time I have led people to believe that I hate bikes and biking. Therefore when I initially announced my ideas they were met with skepticism. As I try to trace my motivations I realize that I still intend to take a climbing trip with only a slight change in means of transportation; not a biking trip where I do some climbing. And I don't hate bikes and biking at all. I just occasionally get annoyed with groups of cyclists that begin geeking put in front of me. Just as I can get annoyed with a group of climbers that geek out too. Everyone should take themselves a lot less seriously. Regardless, what ever gave me the idea to ride a bike?

I can trace it back to three instances-

1). In 2006, I met a dude from New Zealand who was biking through the Canadian Rockies. Along the way he would scramble peaks and chill out a lot. He was pretty crusty, smelled bad, and gave me a sample of Vegemite which is probably the worst thing I've ever tasted. Regardless, his experience appeared far more fulfilling than my gasoline powered one.

2). One time my friend Ieva was discussing her dreams and asked me if I wanted to bike to Patagonia from Pennsylvania and then do some climbing. I gave the proposal some though and them responded with the affirmative. I honestly could not think of a better way to spend a year or two of my life. However, we never got to do that.

2). About a year ago I was talking to an outdoor sales representative named Chad. He works an extensive territory in the Rockies. Chad began musing about riding a bike around his territory in order to visit shops and do clinics. He aired the obvious contradiction of promoting the outdoors and the outdoor industry by driving around a large truck all by himself. The plan made complete sense and Forced me to analyze my own habits.

These three instances all had an impact on me and always kept the prospect of biking in the back of my head. Now it is up to me to turn my anecdotes into action.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Tom! I am already learning things from your blog. I never knew about Vegemite and now I just have to get some. Please ask your Dad to send me a case or better yet, you bring it down on your trailer. One other thing...a noble adventure deserves a noble name. I think that you should change the name of your blog. You could have a contest. I would like to be the first contestant because as you already know, I am kind of "pushy". I suggest that you call it "The Flight of the Wild Goose" or "The Wild Goose Flight". Many moons ago when I was a Boy Scout we used to sing:

    "Our paddles gleaming bright,
    Flashing like silver,
    Swift as the wild goose flight,
    Dip, Dip, and swing...

    ReplyDelete